Health and Safety Manager
Who is QAL?
Queensland Airports Limited (QAL) is an accomplished airport operator which owns and operates Gold Coast, Townsville, Longreach and Mount Isa airports – connecting the Gold Coast and northern NSW, along with regional Queensland, to the rest of the country and beyond. We are an Australian-owned company with a vision to engage customers, connect communities and deliver exceptional experiences – and a commitment to delivering for the communities where we operate. QAL is formally recognised as a ‘Great Place to Work – Certified’ organisation – currently the only airport operator in Australia with this certification. QAL is dedicated to a target of net zero Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 2030. With strong passenger numbers, terminal upgrades underway – there has never been a better time to join QAL.
What you’ll contribute to:
The role of the Health & Safety Manager is to ensure all QAL ports implement and execute effective Health and Safety systematic processes and are underpinned by a robust and effective framework. This role will also be required to develop and implement key risk mitigation processes, specifically in relation to known critical risk and against our Operational Safety Risk Register more generally.
Peter joined our Queensland Airports Pty Ltd at our Townsville Airport and has now been a part of the team for 7+ years, Pete shares his unique experience working at QAL below:
I joined Townsville Airport for a 3-month maternity relief position and 7 years later I am still enjoying the positive work environment. QAL provides great support for its team members, including diverse career opportunities, internal transfers, flexible working arrangements and importantly an accepting culture that encourages a “can do” approach which is productive and satisfying.
Team members are valued with a great balance of work, personal care and fun through all levels of the organisation, fostering loyalty to the organisation. Maintaining a positive environment through-out the COVID experience is testament to senior management dedication to their workforce. I look forward daily to contributing to the business, working together to continually improve efficiencies in the environment field.
Key capabilities required to perform the role:
- Qualifications in Health & Safety, or equivalent experience (minimum 7+ years in Health & Safety, with minimum 3+ years in H&S leadership)
- Extensive familiarity with ISO standards, and ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, Australian Standards and RTW requirements
- Significant experience in implementation of organisational safety systems
- Experienced in effectively maintaining current risk assessment registers that apply to all projects and relevant infrastructure
- H&S monthly reporting (including dashboards), report writing and presentation experience
- Extensive H&S software experience
- Experience in management & leading a small team (two direct reports)
Key deliverables/responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead a solution focused Health & Safety team to ensure effective outcomes are realised in all aspects of Health & Safety at QAL.
- Ensure that key Health & Safety documents are reviewed and updated in required timeframes
- Continuous improvement and innovation – constantly look for process, system and automation opportunities to drive efficiencies and risk reduction
- Collaborate, communicate, and effectively influence others to ensure optimal outcomes and delivery of Health & Safety requirements & overarching QAL strategies.
- Efficient preparation of reports related to the duties of this role
- Where required, ensure all QAL team members and other stakeholders are trained in relation the Health & Safety processes & promote awareness of relevant policies & procedures
- Development of budgets as required for the department
What we offer you?
This is an opportunity to be part of a progressive organisation with a great culture and assist in the transformation and growth of the business. Flexible working options are available for all employees. At QAL, we uphold the philosophy that the smooth integration of life and work benefits all. We call it ‘Living Well’.
QAL supports an inclusive approach and values diversity within the workplace. We aim to provide opportunities that allow individuals to reach their full potential regardless of their background, gender, age, work status, religious or cultural identity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be required to adhere to QAL’s Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP, which includes pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Testing and have the ability to obtain an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC).
Please obtain the Position Description by clicking here