Health & Safety Manager
Who are we?
Queensland Airports Limited (QAL) is an accomplished airport operator which owns and operates Gold Coast, Townsville, Longreach, and Mount Isa airports – connecting the Gold Coast and northern NSW, along with regional Queensland, to the rest of the country and beyond. We are an Australian-owned company with a vision to engage customers, connect communities and deliver exceptional experiences – and a commitment to delivering for the communities where we operate. QAL is formally recognised as a ‘Great Place to Work – Certified’ organisation – currently the only airport operator in Australia with this certification. QAL is dedicated to a target of net zero Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 2030. With strong passenger numbers, terminal upgrades underway, and the Gold Coast Airport’s new terminal expansion officially open – there has never been a better time to join QAL.
What you’ll contribute to:
An exciting opportunity has recently come available for a motivated Health and Safety Manager. This is a new role and essentially a blank canvas for you to create your masterpiece! Reporting to the HSE General Manager, this role will have the responsibility of leading, developing and supporting safe work practices and integrating these across our organisation. Additionally, they will contribute to the positive safety attitudes and a minimal injury workforce already in place by building relationships and further developing a positive health and safety culture throughout the organisation.
Matt, who has led the Health, Safety and Environment department for three years shares his experience of working with QAL.
“In my role at QAL, I feel like I am really valued and my contribution is also welcomed. We have a diverse range of stakeholders and can make a difference in many ways as we constantly improve the way we implement health and safety in our workplaces. As a support function, it’s really important that we provide value to other departments, assisting decision-making and operational processes to enable the best health and safety outcomes.
I love the potential that I have at QAL to lead real change. There is not a day that goes by where the opportunity to input and be heard is not apparent. As a result, I am continually learning and growing.
It’s a great company (and industry) to be a part of. As an airport, we touch on the lives of many people. We connect communities and offer exceptional experiences.
The team works hard, and this offers a real sense of satisfaction and contribution.”
How will you make an impact?
You will take ownership of Queensland Airport’s health and safety systems, leading procedural development with the various departments in line with the QAL Health and Safety Management System. You will oversee training, maintenance, and continuous improvement of our key health and safety processes to ensure quality H&S guidance and compliance throughout the sites. You will lead health and safety advisors, setting KPIs for advisors and ensuring the right data is filtered back to senior management. You will be the cornerstone for QAL HS assurance processes.
Key deliverables/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a solution-focused Health and Safety team to ensure effective outcomes are realized in all aspects of Health and Safety for QAL.
- Drive alignment to ISO 45001 across all our ports and review/develop and confirm a robust framework underpins our operational activities.
- Engage with key stakeholders to facilitate continuous improvement across all aspects of the Health and Safety Management System (HSMS).
- Coach, train, and support stakeholders on the organisation’s health and safety journey.
- Working with external providers to further develop, implement and embed QAL’s assurance programs.
- Work with regulators and other industry bodies to ensure we are compliant and meeting/exceeding recognized standards and obligations.
- Develop and implement key risk mitigation processes in relation to known risks and against the QAL Operational Safety risk register, Incident Register and Non-Conformance Register.
- Employees, contractors, and tenants are aware of and coached in current Health and Safety legislation, Fire Regulations, Safety Policy and Procedures, culture, and compliance requirements.
- Deliver key reporting metrics across all aspects of HS management in accordance with scheduled reporting requirements.
- Facilitate effective return to work for any injured employees.
- Clear and effective communication surrounding reporting, outlining the month’s incidents, injuries and activities is prepared as well as a report on health and safety activities, trends, risks, hazards, incidents, and performance.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a safety leadership role, and a tertiary qualification in health & safety or another related discipline, experience in a similar role can be accepted as an alternative to a degree. You will have proven ability in developing assurance programs, incident investigation, conversed in IT applications, report writing and communicating with a broad range of stakeholders to achieve team objectives.
What do we offer you?
This is an opportunity to be part of a progressive organisation with a great culture and assist in the transformation and growth of the business. Flexible working options are available for all employees. At QAL, we uphold the philosophy that the smooth integration of life and work benefits all. We call it Living Well.
If you are interested in this role and would like to explore in more detail the key responsibilities, please obtain the role description at: https://www.qldairports.com.au/careers/home
QAL supports an inclusive approach and values diversity within the workplace. We aim to provide opportunities that allow individuals to reach their full potential regardless of their background, gender, age, work status, religious or cultural identity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply
The successful candidate will be required to adhere to QAL’s Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP, which includes pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Testing and have the ability to obtain an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC).
Please obtain the Position Description by copying this location into your browser: https://qal.elmotalent.com.au/careers/QALcareers/jobs