Senior Project Manager
Who is QAL?
Queensland Airports Limited (QAL) is an accomplished airport operator which owns and operates Gold Coast, Townsville, Longreach, and Mount Isa airports – connecting the Gold Coast and northern NSW, along with regional Queensland, to the rest of the country and beyond. We are an Australian-owned company with a vision to engage customers, connect communities and deliver exceptional experiences – and a commitment to delivering for the communities where we operate.
QAL is formally recognised as a ‘Great Place to Work – Certified’ organisation – currently the only airport operator in Australia with this certification. QAL is dedicated to a target of net zero Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 2030. With strong passenger numbers, terminal upgrades underway, and the Gold Coast Airport’s new terminal expansion officially open – there has never been a better time to join QAL.
What you’ll contribute to:
An exciting opportunity has become available for a motivated and innovative Senior Project Manager to join the QAL Planning and Infrastructure team. This role is a permanent full-time position that would suit candidates with a tertiary qualification in engineering or a related discipline. The Senior Project Manager reports to the General Manager of Planning and Infrastructure.
The Senior Project Managers will be responsible for planning airport infrastructure and managing a portfolio of multidiscipline projects, from inception (Project Proposal) through delivery (Project Close-Out/Handover) across all QAL ports.
Cameron, who has worked within the Finance team for nearly 6 years shares his experience of working with QAL.
“In my role at QAL we make a difference by working closely with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders. As a support function, it’s important that we provide value to other departments, assisting decision making processes to enable better financial outcomes.
I love the flexibility that QAL provides me with, I can coach my kid’s soccer team on two afternoons a week. I love the game and being able to transfer my passion to my kids, and their teammates and it gives me significant personal reward and pride.
At work, there’s always challenging scenarios and significant opportunities to continually learn and grow (no 2 days are the same for me). It’s a great company (and industry) to be a part of. We touch on the lives of many people yet strive to continually achieve best commercial outcomes. The company has strong ethical foundations, the team is hard working and individuals are respected”.
How will you make an impact?
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic team member, who shares the Planning and Infrastructure team’s commitment to innovative and high-quality services. You will have at least 10 years of project management and/or engineering experience, including 5 years’ experience in airport planning, design and development.
You will have a proven track record in project management with experience in:
- Communication and reporting skills
- Effective time and resource management skills
- Extensive contacts in government, air transport and engineering sectors
- Proficient IT skills, with working knowledge of MS Office
- Strong attention to details
- An ability to work independently to carry tasks to completion with minimal supervision
Key deliverables/responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Guide the projects through the project planning phase on aspects of feasibility, options, assessment, definition, costing, programme, seed funding, risks register.
- Liaise with General Manager Planning & Infrastructure on resourcing of projects.
- Provide technical assistance for input into Project Proposals and Business Cases with the Project Owners and/or stakeholders to outline the project’s functional needs and deliverables.
- Development of procurement strategies and delivery programmes.
- Develop design briefs and develop concepts.
- Review designs, at stages, for adequacy to meet Design/Client Brief.
- Monitor designs for compliance with regulations, policies and standards.
- Manage regulatory approval process for compliance with QAL’s Standards and the Airports Act.
- Brief Consultants and Contractors on responsibilities in the Airport’s Environment Strategy and drafting of Construction Environment Management Plans (CEMP).
- Assist with the appointment and management of external project resources for design, tendering and contract administration of construction work.
- Oversee the management during the construction phase.
- Manage the transfer (handover) of projects upon completion to the project owner.
- Ensure that consultant and contractors consider risk mitigation and WH&S impacts in their designs and construction techniques.
- Establish and organise relevant Steering Committee and Projects Control Group, as required or as directed by the General Manager Planning & Infrastructure.
- Ensure comprehensive reports for projects under your control are presented covering key parameters of scope, time, quality and cost.
- Ensure documentation presented in a concise, clear and professional manner.
- Project management in accordance with the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK).
- Prepare timely advice, reports, technical papers and practical recommendations for Executive Committee direction.
- Assist in preparation of capital expenditure proposals and undertakings to prioritise projects and activities which enhance shareholder value.
- Engage in public presentations (as required).
- Build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
What we offer you?
As a company that has been awarded a Great Place to Work accreditation, this is an opportunity to be part of a progressive organisation and assist in the transformation and growth of the business. We offer a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Flexible working options are available for all employees. At QAL, we uphold the philosophy that the smooth integration of life and work benefits all. We call it Living Well.
If you are interested in this role and would like to explore in more detail the key responsibilities, please obtain the position description at: https://www.qldairports.com.au/careers/home
QAL supports an inclusive approach and values diversity within the workplace. We aim to provide opportunities that allow individuals to reach their full potential regardless of their background, gender, age, work status, religious or cultural identity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be required to adhere to QAL’s Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP, which includes pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Testing and have the ability to obtain an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC).