Program Director Melbourne Airport Rail Link (MARL)
About the Company:
Melbourne Airport (Australia Pacific Airports Corporation) is proud to be one of Australia’s premier transport hubs and Victoria’s gateway to the world, connecting us to the global marketplace. We are committed to creating connections that matter and enhancing the traveller experience across every aspect of our organisation to deliver our vision of becoming Australia’s favourite Airport destination. Currently, in an exciting phase of change, we are delivering rewarding career opportunities, making Melbourne Airport a dynamic and fast-paced place to work for our people.
APAC is a majority Australian-owned private company that also operates Launceston Airport, the tourism gateway to Tasmania and an industry multi-award-winning airport.
Culture and Values:
By joining the team at Melbourne Airport, you will work within a friendly, high-performance culture with a focus on our people and their development.
Our vision is to become Australia’s favourite Airport destination and our people are paramount to achieving this success. We provide a supportive environment, with values that encourage all of our employees to Be You, Think Big, Own it and Work Together.
About the job
Fantastic opportunity for a Project Director to join Melbourne Airport and lead the much-anticipated Melbourne Airport Rail Project!
This role is primarily responsible for overseeing Melbourne Airport’s engagement and delivery of the much-anticipated Melbourne Airport Rail Project.
You will be a strong leader with a high level of drive and commitment and display integrity, resilience, and the ability to build trust through consistent actions, values and communication. You will work with stakeholders across Melbourne Airport, Victorian government departments, and industry to negotiate with and gain support from key stakeholders to achieve vital project and airport precinct outcomes.
With the Project set to commence construction as we head into 2023, on top of broader recovery in aviation travel at Melbourne Airport, now is a very exciting time to join!
To be successful in this role, you will be an experienced executive with a track record of delivering complex and high-value major build projects, ideally in with experience working in an airport and/or rail delivery context.
The MAR Project Director is responsible for management of the project/programme at both a strategic level (for example, negotiating and managing the commercial and risk profile from a legal perspective) and at an operational level in terms of leading Melbourne Airport’s project team and consultants. These key responsibilities include:
- Primary responsibility for achieving the success of the MAR project in terms of outcomes for the Airport and its customers;
- Overseeing and leading a high-performing team;
- Lead and drive a strong safety culture, ensuring early identification and management of safety and project risks with may affect airport operations;
- Building strong relationships across the Melbourne Airport business, with key government and contractor stakeholders;
- Ensuring the successful delivery of the project in accordance with the airport’s requirements;
- Working with the State to maintain a high-quality program whilst identifying and mitigating key project risks in a timely manner;
- Oversee the delivery of key Airport managed activities (as agreed with the State);
- Oversee the finalisation of Project Documentation, including negotiations leading to contract executions;
- Following execution, administer Project Documentation in accordance with Melbourne Airport’s policies and procedures;
- Ensuring issues are resolved in an efficient and systematic manner.
The successful candidate will have:
- Suitable engineering, commerce or legal degree
- Minimum 15 years of experience working within the construction, infrastructure or project development
- Proven track record of successful delivery of construction projects and
- Experience with managing multiple interfacing projects
- Proven experience in leading and mentoring teams
- Extensive experience in project management of construction projects (ideally including Alliancing delivery models) and management of consultancy agreements
- Passionate about aviation with a solid understanding
- Access to airport car parking 24 hours/365 days a year for both business and personal use
- Hybrid flexible working arrangements
- Airport Holiday, an additional day of leave
- Wellness Day, a further additional day of leave
- Discounted onsite childcare at Creative Garden Early Learning
- Mental health and well-being initiatives
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Career and professional development
- Active social culture and participation in a range of social impact days and activities
- Signature Experiences including an airfield family day, and kids’ footy day
- Access to an employee benefits scheme including access to corporate rates and airport retailer discounts (including SkyBus)
APAC is committed to weaving Diversity into our DNA. We believe that Diversity and Inclusion will help us realise our greatest potential as a company, and maximise the potential of all our team members. We strive to create a culture where our team members understand that each individual is unique and that embracing diversity makes us more flexible, productive, and creative.
APAC provides equal opportunity and advancement in employment regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, cultural background, caring responsibilities, disability or socioeconomic background. We encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds who share our workplace values of Being You, Thinking Big, Owning It and Working Together.