Policy and Advocacy
Our Policy Approach
The AAA’s policy and advocacy team works to achieve a supportive operating environment for airports across Australia as part of a thriving aviation sector.
First and foremost we focus on engaging Members to understand the industry-wide issues so the AAA can represent the collective airport perspective within the wider aviation industry. We achieve this by developing united policy positions to present to a range of industry stakeholders. Being conveniently located close to Parliament House, with a professional and experienced team that is well connected to Federal politicians, Federal Departments and industry regulators, the AAA is perfectly positioned to support the needs of our Members.
Our Advocacy Approach
Complementing our policy setting agenda is our advocacy approach which backs up our hard work by supporting and promoting the interests of our Members.
Whilst we are the industry leader and collective voice of Airports within the aviation sector, we have close working relationships with other complimentary industry associations across tourism, local government and various levels of business which enables us to have a finger on the pulse of the wider landscape impacting our industry.
From a grass roots level, the Policy & Advocacy team support Members by:
- Enhancing the understanding of policymakers on the role of airports and the relationship of airports to the broader aviation sector;
- Promoting the value of airports to the national economy;
- Ensuring an appropriate regulatory environment (safety, national security, environment, airspace protection, planning) is in place which supports all airports;
- Promoting and supporting the essential upgrades to critical airport infrastructure;
- Attraction and retention of a skilled airport workforce;
- Promoting a stable operating environment for airports and other industry stakeholders;
- Fostering an environmentally sustainable future for the aviation industry; and
- Supporting and encouraging new aviation technologies and their integration into Australia’s aviation industry.
To support and advance the interests of Members, the AAA (with input and engagement from our Members) makes a range of submissions to regulators and other stakeholders. A list of our recent submissions are included below.
Supplementing and supporting our policy and advocacy activities, the AAA is an active member in a range of working groups focused on topical areas of importance to our Members.
View the latest media releases from the Australian Airports Association.