Security Manager - Newcastle Airport
Why Newcastle Airport
Want to transform our region? It starts with one.
Every individual makes a big difference at Newcastle Airport. Be part of a transformational business and an agile team working as one to connect the region to our nation and the world. Your ideas are heard, and every individual helps us live our purpose: to be the airport the region deserves. Through our authentic and collaborative culture, you’ll help drive domestic and international tourism, create jobs, connect family and friends and make our region even more successful and diverse.
At Newcastle Airport every person makes a big impact.
As the second busiest airport in the state, Newcastle Airport is about to enter the most exciting period of its 70-year history as it grows further in size, aspiration, and influence.
There’s never been a better time to join one of the region’s most dynamic teams that is making a difference. Guided by its deeply held purpose of ‘being the airport the region deserves’, the organisation has emerged a stronger, bolder, and more ambitious business than before the global pandemic.
In the last year, the airport has secured $60 million in Federal funding for an upgraded international airfield and $55 million for terminal expansion, and it has connected to six new destinations, including Cairns and Adelaide, with key international hubs now in sight. It has expanded Astra Aerolab, its world-class and uplifting Defence and Aerospace precinct, brought forward major works on its 2036 Master Plan, and was named 2021 Major Airport of the Year.
About the role
We are looking for a Security Manager to lead, develop and deliver key security strategies, programs, and processes. You will be responsible for ensuring Newcastle Airport remains compliant with all legislative and regulatory requirements to allow the continuous and safe operations of the Airport for all staff, customers, and tenants.
The Security Manger will conduct research and data analysis into aviation and airport security matters to assist with security regulatory requirements, capacity planning, best practice passenger facilitation, budget preparation and delivery.
Key Accountabilities and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain the Airport Transport Security Program (TSP), ensuring that Newcastle Airport remain compliant with all requirements;
- Oversee the delivery of daily airport security operations in line with the TSP and the Aviation Transport Security Act and Regulations;
- Monitor and provide advice and ensure legislative compliance with all relevant legislation;
- Provide specialist security advice to all internal and external stakeholders;
- Oversee delivery of security screening activities and processes;
- Develop, implement and monitor service delivery KPIs for contracted security screening staff;
- Work with the contracted security screening staff to provide an excellent customer experience;
- Capacity planning and management of all security related functions and systems;
- Project delivery of security related CAPEX items;
- Champion security systems and processes and ensure any changes or updates are communicated within a timely manner;
- Review monthly and quarterly security audits to ensure ongoing compliance with all internal and external requirements;
- Drive and oversee the response and investigation of security incidents;
- Engage with relevant legal support to arrange external legal advice, where required;
- Lead with a strong, clear vision aligned to the business strategy and ensure expectations are clearly understood across the team;
- Prepare regular Management, Board and sub-committee reports, and any other adhoc reports as required by the business, accurately and to a high standard;
- Develop, implement, monitor and review specific aviation security training, to drive airport security culture; and
- Develop and maintain the DISP Accreditation Program.
You want to play a role in transforming our region and you share our team’s passion for being the airport the region deserves.
Qualifications and experience – Essential
- Tertiary qualifications in Aviation, Security, or a related discipline
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in the field of aviation security operations
- Expert knowledge of, and experience in, the application of aviation security practices and procedures
- High level understanding of, and the ability to, interpret relevant aviation legislation and regulations
- Previous experience using and/or implementing security systems
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and motivate a team effectively
- Demonstrated decision making capability to meet operational imperatives
- Highly developed conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills to enable identification of issues and the judgement to determine appropriate courses of action
- Effective communication skills, with demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels
- High level verbal and logical reasoning skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organisation
- Proven ability to use initiative to ensure continuous and safe operations.
Our values: Trust | Engaged | Committed | Accountable | Results-driven
Our values aren’t just words on a page, they are a core part of our DNA. We live and breathe them every day, from making strategic decisions right through to the daily support that we provide to our passengers and visitors.
Energetic and supportive culture: there’s always a buzz in our team, we’re agile and authentic and we walk the talk when it comes to our values. Our people are ego-free, collaborative, and dynamic.
Wellbeing matters: looking after you is key to our success. We prioritise work flexibility with hybrid working from home arrangements, flexible hours, extra personal/carer’s leave, wellbeing days, paid parental leave, and an annual picnic day. Join our corporate fitness program, access mental health and wellbeing initiatives program and enjoy opportunities to grow your career.
A powerhouse for the region: we are a transformational business growing fast with the development of our new international terminal, and our Astra Aerolab – an uplifting and world-class defence, and aerospace and innovation precinct that directly adjoins RAAF Base Williamtown.
More than profit: your hard work directly benefits your local community and connects our region to the world. You will make a significant impact on the success of the Hunter, driving tourism and diversity, to help us be the airport the region deserves.
Serious about sustainability: we’re committed to enriching the future of our people, our place and our planet. We’re investing over $2 million in sustainable practices, with ambitious goals of carbon neutrality, a five Green star rating for new buildings, and solar energy systems, to become an industry leader in environmental social governance.
Want to know more?
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please contact Katy Van Maastricht – firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion.
Alternatively, click “Apply” to submit your cover letter and resumé.
Closing Date: Friday 4 November 2022.
To be considered for this position, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.